Search This Blog

Friday, September 16, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies

It was chilly yesterday. I think the high was 58 or something like that. While picking my daughter up from preschool one of the other mothers said she was going to bake something to warm up the house. I thought, what a great idea! I wasn't in the mood for all the work of a cupcake and being the end of the week our food supply is low. I was going to make caramel apple oatmeal cookies, but when I went to get started I realized I had no whipping cream to make caramel. I did have oatmeal and butter and 1 apple. So I came up with an Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal cookie.
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
2 sticks + 3 tablespoons of butter (room temperature)
1 peeled and dice apple
2 eggs (room temperature)
3 cups oats
2 cups of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 cup + 3 teaspoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda


In a sauce pan melt 3 table spoons of butter on low heat. Add apple, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and 3 teaspoons of brown sugar and stir until butter starts to bubble. Let apples simmer for 3 minutes then remove from heat.




In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda and remaining cinnamon and whisk together. Or have your kid do it. lol





In a large mixing bowl cream remaining butter with remaining brown sugar and the regular sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mixing between each. Add dry, whisked, ingredients. Mix until well combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in oats and apple mixture. 


Spoon batter on to greased cookie sheet two inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes on 375.

They were really yummy and super easy. I first thought I would tell you guys to add two apples, because there is very little apple taste to the cookies at all. While eating them last night with my husband, I decided I liked them just the way they are. They do not have a strong apple flavor, but the flavor is nice. This is also one of those recipes where I separated the batter so my daughter could make cookies just her size. She really enjoyed putting the batter on her cookie sheet and really loves the "just my size" cookies. I love them because I can tell her she is going to have just one, and not worry it's too much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds great! I think Im going to be making some of these soon!