Search This Blog

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Peanut Butter and................WHAT?

I remember as a child being asked what I wanted for lunch and replying with a little song. I would sing ♫ "Peanut Butter and Jelly. That's All I'll Put in My Belly"♫ My mom would roll her eyes and try to get me to try something new. I wouldn't. One day she introduced me to peanut butter and honey. It was my new favorite sandwich. While it's debatable that peanut butter and honey is a healthier choice, a little change in a child's life is nothing but good. My daughter has always enjoyed a variety of food, peanut butter and jelly was something she got for lunch when we had nothing else. Then, all of a sudden for a week straight she wanted nothing else.
As I made her sandwich I started to sing ♫" peanut butter and jelly....." I stopped there. I didn't want to teach her the song and encourage her to eat nothing else for lunch. The second week, more of the same. My sister came on a Saturday to watch the kids and the next day I went to the grocery store. I brought my daughter with me and headed for the isle with the peanut butter in it. We were using more of it these days. I caught myself singing ♫"peanut butter and jelly"
My daughter responded "that's all I put in my belly"
My sister had taught her the song.  Another week went by and still aside from the occasional quesadilla, peanut butter and jelly was all she would put in her belly at lunch time.  We went to see Winnie the Pooh in the theatre, and she took notice of how delicious the honey looked. When we went to the grocery store she asked if we could get some honey, and I remembered my favorite sandwich. It is now her favorite as well.
Most of us know the basic peanut butter sandwich combinations. We have Elvis' favorite, fried peanut butter and bananas there is the delicious "Fluffernutter" it got me thinking, "what are other moms putting on a peanut butter sandwich to change things up in their house?" So I asked a group of moms from Cafemom.com and here is what they told me.

One of the first ideas was simply frying a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Someone else introduced me to a product by Peanut Butter & Company called White Chocolate Wonderful. In all honesty, I haven't tried any of these yet, but I intend to try most of them.

Peanut butter,.............

Butter and jelly
Butter
Marshmallow Fluff
Honey
Nutella
Strawberries
Kiwis
Thinly Sliced Apple
Orange Marmalade
Marmite
Raisins
Hershey Syrup
Gold Fish Crackers
Apple Butter
Cheese and Bologna
Potato Chips
Fried with Bacon and Banana (syrup for dipping)
Mayo
Pickles
Bacon
Cheese







No comments: