Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Cupcakes for Breakfast! French Toast Cupcakes.

Breakfast is my second favorite meal to cook, because you can just make dessert and call it breakfast! Here is one of my favorite breakfast cupcakes. You can easily make the cupcakes the night before and fry and frost them in the morning. They are like a posh doughnut, but when I've made doughnuts they only last a few hours before they start to get stale and then hard. These were still great the second day, and even the third!
French Toast Cupcakes
Cupcakes

1 stick butter (room temp)
 1 1/2 cups sugar
 2 cups all purpose flour
 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
 1 cup whole milk
 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

 4 large egg whites
Beat butter until soft and smooth add sugar and beat for 3 minutes. In a separate bowl whisk dry ingredients together. Measure out milk and add vanilla. Add wet and dry ingredients to butter and sugar mixture. Alternate between wet and dry, mixing between each adding in thirds.
beat egg white until soft peaks form, and fold in to batter.
Scoop in to muffin cups and bake. Once they are cooled you can skip straight to frosting them, if you are not interested in deep frying them. Yup, thats right..........I fried them lol
French toast mix & deep fry
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
a few cups of canola oil and powdered sugar for sprinkling.
When deep frying, temperature is very important, that being said............I go by smell. lol Fill a deep pot about a quarter of the way with oil, and set your flame to medium. When you can begin to smell the oil, it should be about ready. Coat cupcake in french toast mixture. You don't want to soak it, just coat it.  Sprinkle the top of the muffin with powdered sugar and place cupcake in the hot oil. It should turn golden brown in about 30 or 45 seconds, if not the oil needs to be a bit hotter.
let cupcakes dry on a rack or paper towl.
Cream cheese frosting
8 oz package of cream cheese softened
1 stick of butter
4 cups of sifted powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract.
seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
Beat butter , add cream cheese and mix well. Add vanilla extract, beat. Add sugar 1 cup at a time, add vanilla seeds.
Assembly
I put a scoop of jelly on each cupcake after placing it back in a fresh paper. I used blueberry, but I think it would be fun to alternate. Once I tasted them I wished I had used raspberry. That is my favorite jelly filled doughnut. :)
I only deep fried half my cupcakes, because I was unsure of what the result would be, like I said.........they are good both ways. I will have the deep fried version as part of my menu in my shop for sure though.
I tried them a couple of ways, but settled on a scoop of preserves on top, and frosting around the scoop. I think this would also be helpful if you plan on using different jellies or preserves.

No comments: