makes 16 cupcakes ~350 oven
1 stick butter, room temp
1 cup + 4 tablespoons sugar
2 large egg, room temp
1/2 cup + 4 tablespoons Gluten Free Pantry all purpose flour
1 teaspoon potato flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup high quality unsweetened cocoa powder like Valrhona brand
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Beat butter until softened. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
2 Add egg and beat until well combined.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
4. Measure out the milk and vanilla and stir to combine
5. Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the butter/sugar and beat to combine. Add about a half of the milk/vanilla and beat to combine. Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet and finishing with the dry.
6. Scoop batter into cupcake cups about 2/3's full. Bake cupcakes for about 22-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
If you do not want to make these cupcakes gluten free, simply sub the gluten free flour for regular flour and eliminate all the ingredients in bold print.
For the filling, I simply made whipped cream and added banana flavoring to it. I had plenty left over which I used to top some fruit and a dollop or two on a few glasses of punch.
Banana Whipped Cream
2 cups of heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 teaspoons banana flavoring
1/2 cup sugar
Blend all ingredients until cream is thick and peaks.
Let cupcakes cool completely. With a sharp knife cut a nickle size slice off the top of the cupcake and remove "lid" use the knife to kind of stir around in the cupcake to make the hole bigger and dump crumbs out. Spoon in a generous amount of whipped cream and replace lid. They don't have to be pretty, you are putting frosting over them. :)
To frost them, I made a basic butter cream, however if I were making these for adults I would have used a rum butter cream. Either way they work.