Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Just a few days until the Autumn Solstice

Just a few more days until the Autumn Solstice, September 23rd. At that point I have deemed it appropriate to start decorating for not just Halloween, but Dia De Los Muertos. For those who are not familiar with this holiday, it is a Mexican holiday that is as much about crafts and baking as it is about honor our loved ones who have passed. We celebrate this holiday, because we love Mexican folk art, it's a part of our children's heritage, and I think it is a great way to help teach children about the grieving process. We lost my Grandmother this year, who will be placed on our alter next to her husband who, we lost more than ten years prior. Not being of Catholic faith ourselves, we celebrate this holiday in our own way. I can't wait to put up my alter this year and spend the month crafting by myself, and with my daughter. I hope to painting picture frames, making paper flowers, making sugar skulls, and maybe even a few clay figures. My first order of business, since this is the first year we will have a full alter is to print out some pictures of our loved ones that have passed. I will not have food on my offering table, but we will have candles and decorations. I hope to start crafting in the next two days. First up, will be paper flowers.

No comments: