Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Heart Shaped Home Made Oreos

I do have a Valentine's Day cupcake coming, I swear. First things first, I offered to supply the treat for my daughter's preschool Valentine's Day party. In my opinion, since they will each be going home with a bag of candy, a cupcake seems like just too much for a four year old. I was trying to think of something sweet, that everyone would love. Oreos! I mean what four year old doesn't love oreos? What I love is an oreo type cookie with no preservatives and I can control the amount of frosting in the center, perfect.


Cookies
1 1/4 cup of flour
2 cups of sugar
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 stick+ 2 tablespoons of butter at room temp

Cream butter and sugar together for 3 minutes. Add egg and mix for another minute. Whisk dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, then slowly add them to your creamed butter, sugar and egg mixture until well combined. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper. If making regular round cookies, roll 1 inch balls, and pat flat before placing them on cookie sheet.
I made hearts using a fondant cutter (or cookie cutter)
Take a large handful of cookie dough and place on a piece of parchment paper, flatten with hand then dust with powdered sugar, roll flat with a rolling pin and stamp out shapes. Remove shapes from parchment paper using spatula and place on lined cookie sheets.
Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes then set aside to cool
Filling
2 sticks softened butter
4-6 cups powdered sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract

Place soft butter in mixer and beat until smooth. Add vanilla and then sugar a little at a time until blended  and smooth. Using a round tip, pipe frosting on every other cookie and sandwich them together until all the cookies are done.
Enjoy!


No comments: